Restrictive Covenants

Book your free initial call

    We endeavour to make an initial response to all enquiries within 24 hours but please be aware that on some occasions due to prior commitments or volume of calls we will not be able to respond in that time frame. We also operate a 48 hour return policy. This return policy means that if we have not responded with 48 hours of your initial enquiry we are unable to do so due to current workloads and we will destroy your data accordingly. This policy ensures you are not left waiting and have the certainty that your data is not compromised. In most instances however we are able to make contact within a 24 hour time frame. Please note our free initial advice service is available to clients at our total discretion and if your case is of a complex nature we may not be able to offer you a free consultation. However in these instances we will advise you what the charge would be for an initial fixed fee consultation.
  • (view our privacy statement)
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

In Bartholomews Agri Food v Thornton [2016] EWHC 648 (QB), Mr Thornton commenced employment as a trainee agronomist in 1997 and when he resigned in 2012 his employer sought to rely on a clause in his contract of employment which prevented him from working for any of the employer’s existing customer base for 6 months. The High Court refused to enforce this restrictive covenant on three grounds.

  1. Since Mr Thornton only worked with customers representing 2% of the Company’s overall turnover it would be manifestly unfair to prevent him from working for customers representing the other 98% of the existing customer base.
  2. Although the Company was prepared to continue paying Mr Thornton for the full 6 month period it would be contrary to public policy to allow an employer to “purchase” a restraint of trade.
  3. Even if Mr Thornton had been promoted to a role whereby the restrictive covenant could be regarded as reasonable (and hence enforceable) it was not enforceable when it was entered into and on that basis alone the employer’s application failed.

Written by Robin Aston
6th April 2016